Palmyra

PALMYRA

The word Palmyra means “city of palms” and was named after a city in the Syrian Desert. This area, like much of Melville, was covered with Zamias that looked like mini palm trees and were toxic to cattle and had to be removed. Apparently a competition was run to find a name for the district.

Palmyra started to be developed around 1903 as workers sought out an area close to Fremantle in which to live. Further subdivision occurred in 1907. Development in the early days was sparse, with houses surrounded by bush. Residents had to erect fences to keep out stray animals that roamed in the area. The rate of growth went up a notch around 1912, and in 1915 Palmyra was included in the Metropolitan Water Supply Scheme and had the benefit of the extension of the tramway to Stock Road. By 1920 much of the developed part of Palmyra was made up of working-class families from English, Irish and Scottish backgrounds.

Many of the street names in Palmyra have a Roman or Middle Eastern connection. For example, Zenobia Street is named after a Queen of the Palmyra in Syria. Aurelian Street was named after the Roman Emperor who overthrew Queen Zenobia and reigned in her stead. Petra Street is an ancient city in Jordan linked by trade to Palmyra. Some older Palmyra buildings included the fire station (now demolished) at the corner of Murray Road and Canning Highway, which opened in 1956 and later became the Palmyra Recreation Centre. The old Palmyra Police Station in Harris Road was built in 1927 and operated until 1963.

Palmyra saw the opening of Melville’s first private school in 1925. It was called St Gerards and operated from a Roman Catholic Hall in Foss Street. The Hall has now been replaced by Our Lady of Fatima Church and Primary School. Films were also shown on Friday nights at St Gerard’s Hall until a picture theatre, the Empire Hall, opened in 1930 at the corner of Petra Street and Canning Highway. This was followed in 1937 by the Swan Suburban Picture Gardens, then the Mayfair Theatre in 1938 off the Highway on Westbury Crescent. The Empire Hall renamed Queen’s Hall became a popular weekly dance hall.
  • Suburb:Palmyra
  • Postcode:6157
  • Municipality:
Address Suburb Sold Date Bed Bath Car Sale Price
47a Zenobia Street PALMYRA 3-03-2017 4 2 2 $622,000 View Property
35B Waddell Road PALMYRA 1-03-2017 2 1 2 Undisclosed View Property
3 365 Canning Highway PALMYRA 3-11-2016 2 1 1 $338,000 View Property